2009 Jeep Wrangler vs. 2009 Hummer H3
I know this is a Jeep column and many of you dislike even the mention of the Hummer name, but to be fair, we do occasionally have to review them as (friendly) competitors (but all Jeep owners know it isn’t much of a competition!). So, lets take a quick look and compare the 2009 Jeep Wrangler and the 2009 Hummer H3.
The method will be simple, just look at the key similarities and differences between them – features, drivetrain, price, mileage
First the Hummer H3 – introduced in 2006 as a mid-size SUV, General motors leverages the same basic pickup platform as the Canyon and the Colorado (which is a big part of how they are able to keep the price down!)
Available in three different models the Hummer H3 for 2009 is available with different trim levels: H3, H3x, and H3 Alpha; and in the case of the ‘Alpha’, a limited edition version with a more powerful engine. Addons for the Hummer include something REALLY funny from my perspective: off road suspension! What on earth else would you expect on a Hummer! oh well, I guess they know their market. Also available are roof marker lamps, a heavy duty lamp bar, colored front grille, locking differential, sunroof, a block heater for colder climates and a few other things including the obligatory fancy schmancy sound system.
As mentioned above the 2009 Hummer H3 comes with two engine options and two transmission options. The basic models come equipped with the 5 cylinder 3.7 litre Atlas Vortec that delivers 242 horsepower; the high-end limited edition H3 Alpha comes standard equipped with a mighty 5.3 litre V8 that delivers 300 horsepower (although it is definitely geared more for the street than off-road – the V8 option is purported to shuttle the H3Alpha from 0 to 60 in under 8 seconds….sounds a bit like the SRT gas guzzler written about previously to me!)
The federal government safety group gives the 2009 Hummer H3 a 5-star much improved grade over the 2008 model year in which the 2008 Hummer H3 was rated “Acceptable” in crash tests from the front and “Poor” for rear crash tests http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=629.price and mileage
For a Hummer the 2009 H3 starts at a reasonable $30,000 (I bet you can get a deal on one now that the economy is in a shambles!) and GM claims it will get up to 16 MPG in the city
- “Antilock disc brakes, traction control, stability control, hill-start assist, OnStar and full-length side curtain airbags are standard on all H3s.” — Edmunds
- “OnStar comes standard with one year’s worth of safety and security service. After that, a monthly fee is required to maintain the service.” — Cars.com
- “The backup camera, also an option, almost becomes a necessity on the H3, as its already slight rear visibility is further compromised by the hatch-mounted spare tire.” — Car Gurus
- “If you’re drawn to the 2009 Hummer H3’s Tonka-truck buff appearance and can make use of its segment-topping off-road capabilities, there’s a lot to like here,” says Edmunds. “But its poor fuel economy, significant lack of utility and unrefined nature make it difficult to recommend.”
Now on to the Jeep Wrangler – The 2009 Jeep Wrangler is much like its previous models and has a decades long legacy as a true ‘off-road’ vehicle. The SUV is an off-road-ready vehicle and is available in four doors as well as two doors models.
Wrangler is equipped with a detachable hardtop or a foldable soft top a powerful seven-speaker sound system from with subwooder from Infinity, and a soft-top that can be partially open like a sunroof. In addition the 2009 Jeep Wrangler comes with an optional ‘MyGig’ infotainment system including a satellite navigation system and 20Gb of music storage.
Wrangler has a 202 hp, 3.8litre cast iron V6 engine and comes with two transmission options, A six-speed manual transmission and a four-speed automatic and a maximum towing capacity of 3500 lb on four door models. The 2009 Wrangler comes is equipped with a 4:1 Rock-Trac four-wheel-drive system and a Dana 44 rear axle.
5-star safety rating
Price and mileage
the Wrangler achieves 15 miles per gallon in the city and 19 on the highway.
- The 2009 Hummer has the ability to run alternately on ethanol blended fuel E85 whereas the Jeep Wrangler is a gasoline only engine
- Some additional features of Hummer which are not present in Wrangler are heated steering wheel, a wireless cell phone link, and a power tilt steering column.
- The 2009 Jeep comes with only one engine option
- The 2009 Hummer is not available with a soft top but it has an additional feature; The car has a foldaway mid gate between the cargo bed and the cabin and can comfortably seat up to seven passengers.
- While coming to the safety features; both are equipped with traction control system, ABS and antiskid system. One major difference in safety features which makes Hummer superior to Wrangler is; Wrangler provides only front side airbags, whereas Hummer has both front side as well as curtain side airbags.
- On the other hand, Hummer has a maximum towing capacity of 8000 lb.